Posted on Wed 03 Oct 2012 at 12:27 by Ben Atkins
6 Reasons why you support your Union rather than a hypothetical unnamed supermarket next door.
I am not one of your down with the capitalist and hating on all supermarkets kind of guys, I used to work for one, and the money got me through university… so by no means am I saying boycott supermarkets, or break in and hold a sit in on the veg aisle!
I am however going to suggest to you 6 reasons why spending your hard earned student loan at MMUnion rather than hypothetical neighbouring supermarkets is a lot more exciting and does a lot more than you think
1. Buying a can of Coke – If you purchase a can of coke not at the union, you get just that… a can of coke. If you buy a can of Coke from MMUnion you are helping fund our advice centre which helped save students over £150,000 last year, and gives guidance during academic appeals and disputes. Give students a place to go and someone to talk to if something is bothering them and can be the difference between a student staying at MMU or leaving university.
2. Purchasing a Notebook – At MMUnion we have such a fantastic range of stationary its like an Aladdin’s cave. By choosing a notebook from the union shop you are helping our Individual cyclists attempt to defend their gold medal in the British University College sports road race final, or aiding our Hockey team buy a new goalie kit for their beginners team or helping us to fund our Roleplaying society go to the national competitions and our Visual arts society to make the union a more exciting place to be. Not many other places can say that.
3. Choosing a Freshly made sandwich from MMUnion helps us to spend more money on representing your views and opinions to your University. Buying a sandwich has a direct link with how much time we can spend helping your voice get heard, Crazy I know, but the money we make in our commercial services helps to pay for our Student Voice Coordinators who are dedicated to faculties to get to the bottom of student ideas and opinions.
4. Grabbing a quick coffee – We have a fantastic new café, why would you settle for a cup from a machine when you can discuss current affairs and the weather with an actual MMUnion Students. That’s right, the money you spend here pays the wages of MMU Students gaining valuable work experience to help them progress to be great thinkers, lawyers, doctors and Volcanologists….
5. Purchasing an MMU T-shirt or hoody – All our clothing is ethically sources, that means fair trade… We are looking at increasing this to a living wage brand, so we can ensure every part of the production process is getting the basic living wage they deserve! You wont get that at Tesc…i mean your neighbouring supermarket chain…
6. Refilling your art supplies box – We sell all kinds of art supplies from spray paint and clothing dye to paintbrushes and clay. This is done through the NUS buying consortium, by purchasing your art supplies here not only do you get them cheaper than anywhere else in MCR, you also help pay to be a part of NUS. The National union of students; where key issues are discussed, debated and acted on. Whether that’s the cost of accommodation or transport or keeping Wednesdays free for sport. You guys makes this possible.
Every penny you spend at MMUnion goes straight back into everything we do for you. Whether you’re in a club, part of a society, been elected as a course rep, work behind our bar, bob in for lunch once a week or just need some help with making your lecturer listen to your opinions. That is all made possible by the time, consideration and the effort you put into your Union, So what im trying to say is just think If £1 can do all that for MMUnion, isn’t that a better place to spend it than anywhere else?
So before you spend that £1 somewhere else just think what you could be supporting!